Been a while since I posted a recipe.
Niki likes her vegan curry, I like my chili and I found an interesting one here:
Via the Recipezaar Â»
Easy Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Time: 55 mins (prep: 20 mins) - Serves 7
This is a very thick chili. The bulgur almost takes on the colour, form/texture of ground meat. Excellent with fresh bread and a garden salad or as a meal itself. Freezes/reheats well.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper,chopped
- 1 medium red pepper,chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups red kidney beans, cooked (a 540ml can, drained)
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked (a 540ml can, drained)
- 1/2 cup bulgur or couscous, rinsed
- 796ml diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup salsa, medium
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup canned corn niblets (frozen works well)
- Heat oil in a large pot, saute onions, peppers and garilc for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except corn.
- Increase heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn, simmer until heated through.
- Makes about 10 cups or 6-7 servings of 1 1/2 cups.