[Borrowed this from the Vegetarian Society website. Hope you don’t mind Jane.]
St Patrick’s Soup
This is a potato based soup that uses oatmeal for thickening. It can be served with warm soda bread for a complete Irish experience!
50g/2oz butter or vegan margarine
100g/4oz onions, sliced
225g/8oz potatoes, peeled and finely diced
225g/8 oz carrots, peeled and finely diced
225g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
225g/8 oz green cabbage, chopped
pinch ground cloves
1 litre/ 1 Â¾ pints vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Single cream or soya cream to swirl (optional)
1. Melt the butter / margarine in a large saucepan. Add the onions, potatoes and carrots and fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms, cabbage and ground cloves and cook for 5 minutes more.
2. Add the vegetable stock and oatmeal, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes
3. Allow to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until the soup is smooth. (If you prefer a slightly chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.)
4. Return the soup to a clean pan and heat through gently. Season to taste. Serve in individual soup bowls with a swirl of cream on top if liked.
Â© Copyright The Vegetarian Society 2002
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
This one of the recipes on the VegSoc website. View all of them here. 6 in all including Colcannon, Boxty and an Irish Coffee.