In our unbiased opinion we think that Niki’s vegan curry is the best ever, but we do realise that there are other curries out there that you may want to try.
The latest one is via the UKTV Food website and posted under *whispers* Gary Rhodes name, but was created by a Punjab Chef. This recipe has Indian cheese and cream ingredients but I’m sure these can be substituted if you want to make a vegan version.
Paneer Tikka (Grilled Paneer)
by Gary Rhodes
from Rhodes Across India
Tikka means morsel in Hindi, and here Punjabi chef Manjit Gill makes grilled morsels of spiced Indian cheese
Servings: 4 as a side dish
Level of difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 10 minutes, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 350g paneer
- 3/4 tbsp yellow Chilli powder, (or red chilli powder)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 1 heaped tsp Carom seeds, (ajwain)
- 50ml double cream
- 4-6 bamboo skewers, soaked for 20 minutes in cold water
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
1. Cut the paneer into 4cm cubes. Sprinkle with the yellow chilli powder and the salt. Toss everything together and ensure the paneer is evenly coated. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Combine the gramflour with the carom seeds and cream. Coat each paneer cube in the spiced cream and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill to its hottest setting. Thread the paneer onto the skewers and sear under the grill for 3-5 minutes on each side – until deliciously smoky and charred at the edges. Serve straight away, sprinkled with garam masala.
Cook’s note: these paneer morsels are also ideal for cooking over glowing charcoal.
Originally posted at: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/591477