I’m going to admit it right now: my love for various holidays throughout the year mainly stems from looking for an excuse to bake and decorate. It’s just so much fun, and I love seeking out seasonal decorations, baking accessories and cupcake cases! This year, I put together some very easy easter nest cupcakes.
Because it was mainly about the decorating, I used some shortcuts. I know lots of people frown upon cake mixes and I don’t usually use them when I’m going for flavour, but for a bake that mainly exists to be decorated and look pretty, I have absolutely no qualms about making life easy for myself. I like using Betty Crocker mixes and icings. As far as I can tell, they’re vegan-friendly and also, they were on sale at Aldi at the time.
- 1 Package Betty Crocker Lemon Cake
- 1 Tub Betty Crocker Lemon Icing
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1 Package Carluccio’s Sugared Chocolate Eggs
- 1 Package Hotel Chocolate Dark Chocolate Egglets
- 1 Package Hotel Chocolate Dark Chocolate Chicks
- In a food processor or blender, blend the bananas and the cake mix until smooth.
- Bake in a cupcake tin according to package instructions and let cool.
- Using a palette knife, spread a very thin coat of icing on each cupcake.
- Using a piping bag and star or rope nozzle, pipe a thick ‘nest’ around the edge of each cupcake.
- Decorate with chocolate eggs and chicks.